Old Dowerin - Original Town Site

Point Of Interest

4.3 from 3 users

Contact

Hindmarsh Rd, Dowerin, Western Australia

dowerin.wa.gov.au/tourism/history/history-heritage.aspx

Description

A monument on the site of the Old Dowerin Community Centre. School closed 1958, Church 1965. The name of the Shire and the town site of Dowerin is derived from the aboriginal word Daren given to a series of lakes once fresher, some 8-10 kilometres south of the town. It was originally established as a watering hole and resting place for prospectors and travellers on their way to the goldfields. It was first settled in 1895, but the railway in 1906 was unable to be built in the area and as a consequence, the town site was moved to the present site. No camping or overnight parking.

Read more

Features

Location

Lat: -31.24333 Lng: 117.069545

User Reviews

Avatar

Kath26

Quiet good spot for lunch with room to turn your van around

logo

For more reviews download WikiCamps NOW!

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Get it on the Microsoft Store

Minimum requirements: iOS 12, Android 6, Windows 10