Wilson Ruins (Historical Settlement)

Point Of Interest

3.5 from 4 users

Contact

Cnr.Quorn-Hawker &Wilson-Craddock Rd, HAWKER, South Australia

(08) 8620 0500

council@frc.sa.gov.au

frc.sa.gov.au/community/towns/wilson

Description

The township of Wilson was proclaimed on 6th January 1881, being named by Governor Jervois after General Sir Charles Wilson, a compatriot and highly regarded Officer of the Royal Engineers. Wilson stands now as a reminder of the stoic settlers of the north of SA, the hardships and trials of attempts to eke out a living farming in such an area with low and unreliable rainfall and relatively poor soils, the importance of the rail network to those developments, as well as the changes in settlement patterns afforded by greater transport mobility, the greater capacity to store daily needs which came with power and refrigeration, and the extended social networks which universal communications and accessible personal transport have engendered.

Read more

Features

Location

Lat: -31.998655 Lng: 138.352041

User Reviews

Avatar

Swampy59

9.6.21 great to see it still standing after all these years .

Avatar

Flyspots

Still standing, interesting history.

logo

For more reviews download WikiCamps NOW!

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Get it on the Microsoft Store

Minimum requirements: iOS 12, Android 6, Windows 10