Historic Wilson Cemetery

Point Of Interest

Has not been rated.

Description

The township of Wilson was proclaimed on 6th January 1881, being named by Governor Jervois after General Sir Charles Wilson, a compatriot and highly regarded Officer of the Royal Engineers. Wilson stands now as a reminder of the stoic settlers of the north of SA, the hardships and trials of attempts to eke out a living farming in such an area with low and unreliable rainfall and relatively poor soils, the importance of the rail network to those developments, as well as the changes in settlement patterns afforded by greater transport mobility, the greater capacity to store daily needs which came with power and refrigeration, and the extended social networks which universal communications and accessible personal transport have engendered. Many of the early pioneers are buried at the Wilson Cemetery.

Read more

Features

Location

Lat: -31.997869 Lng: 138.369288

User Reviews

Site has no reviews

logo

For more reviews download WikiCamps NOW!

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play Get it on the Microsoft Store

Minimum requirements: iOS 12, Android 6, Windows 10